To assure the longevity of your cast iron teapot or non kettle type please follow these basic guidelines:
Before using your cast iron teapot for the first time:
- Thoroughly rinse the teapot with hot water.
- While the teapot is still warm, dry the teapot inside and out with a dry cloth.
When using your teapot always note the following:
- Use the cast iron teapot to brew tea, not as a stove-top kettle. The enamel lining is fragile and could be damaged.
- Never use in a microwave oven.
- Do not scrub the teapot with abrasive pads or use any detergents, simply rinse it with water ONLY and wipe it dry after each use.
- Do not leave any tea or water in the teapot for long periods of time. Always wipe the outside with a dry cloth while the teapot is still warm.
- Do not expose the teapot to salt or oil.
- Never use a dishwasher to clean it.
- Never suddenly cool the teapot when it is still warm.
- The inside of the teapot is glazed, so choose kitchen utensils that do not scratch the glaze; by doing so you will be assured years of enjoyment from your teapot.